Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Midweek Message from the Mount – June 6, 2012

  In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory.”
4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”
6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” (Isaiah 6:1-8)

The first lesson for Trinity Sunday that we read this past Sunday is filled with beautiful truths and imagery.  Look at what brings Isaiah to his eager desire to be sent by the Lord.  It’s what the Triune God does for him that compels him.

He knows who he is before a holy God.  A man of unclean lips.  Ruined.  Woe is upon him.  He knows he does not deserve to be in the presence of the almighty God and he honestly admits he should be destroyed for it.

But notice how God responds.  He does not destroy Isaiah the sinner.  He declares Isaiah to be a saint, he takes his sins away, it’s atoned for, his guilt is vanquished.  And for no other reason than God’s great grace and mercy. 

Then comes the call.  “Whom shall I send?  And who will go for us?”  And Isaiah, knowing what his loving, Triune God has done for him, bringing him from ruin to life, from guilt to a pure heart, can’t help but raise his hand high and shout, “Here am I.  Send me!”

God has forgiven your sins and taken your guilt away by the blood of Christ.  Now he calls out to his sinners declared to be saints, “Who will go for us?”  How will you respond to the call?  How can you not see God’s love for you and raise your hand high and shout, “Here am I.  Send me!  Use me for your purposes!  Let me share this love with others!  Let me be the servant of the Triune God!”  The holy God has declared you, a sinner, to be holy.  And now he even calls you into his service.  How awesome is that!  What a privilege you have!

Prayer:  Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I thank you for so perfectly providing for all of my needs, especially for making me your child now and forever.  Lead me to hear your call into a life of service to you and to answer cheerfully, “Here am I.  Send me!”  May I be a light to the world that reflects your great love for all people.  May I give glory to you in everything I say and do.  Forgive me when I fail, restore me with your forgiveness, and give me your strength to live for you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment