Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Midweek Message from the Mount – May 9, 2012


“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”  (John 15:1,2)
 
Do you feel like you are constantly being pruned by the Gardener?  Do you feel like you’d just like a break from the pain and the problems of this life? 

A man once visited an orange grove where an irrigation pump had broken down. The season was unusually dry and some of the trees were beginning to die for lack of water. The farmer giving the tour then took the man to his own orchard where irrigation was used sparingly. "These trees could go without rain for another 2 weeks," he said. "You see, when they were young, I frequently kept water from them. This hardship caused them to send their roots deeper into the soil in search of moisture. Now mine are the deepest-rooted trees in the area. While others are being scorched by the sun, these are finding moisture at a greater depth."

Friends, that’s exactly what God intends for the pains and the problems of this life to do for you.  He prunes you so that you might know where to look for real strength, for real peace, for real solutions.  To look to him.  Not to yourself.  Not to “experts” around you.  But to look to him alone. To seek him in Word and Sacrament that he gives us.  To know that he is in control. To remember that he has proven his love to you through Christ.  To remember that he has showered his love on you our entire life, and that he certainly won’t stop now.

And the result of allowing us to go through pain and problems in this life is so that we might bear even more fruit for him.  That you might know and recognize the limitless power and strength of the God who loves you personally.  That your faith might be strengthened in his promises and his plans for you.  And so that others may see God’s power working through you.

It sounds rather strange, but I encourage you to thank God for the pain of this life.  Praise God for the problems that he allows in your life.   Appreciate the pruning the Gardener does on you.  Remember his faithful promise:  he will not give you more than you can bear.  He is simply leading you to a deeper trust in him.  He is using you to lead others to himself.  And in his love, he’s preparing you for eternity.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, sometimes I do not understand why you allow certain things to happen in my life.  But let me never doubt your great love for me that you have proven to me in my Savior, Jesus.  Help me to accept your pruning as proof of how much you care about me, that you want my faith in you to increase, that you want me to bear more fruit for you in my life, and that you are preparing me for eternity.  I ask this in the name of my risen Savior, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment